Monday, June 13, 2016

Day 24: Visit Scotland and Blackness Castle

We started off the day with an hour bus ride through Edinburgh out to Oceans Terminal.



We visited Vist Scotland and learned about their goals for Scotland's tourism industry as well as their current #scotspirit campaign.

It was pretty interesting to hear how Visit Scotland uses digital media and marketing to help raise awareness of Scotland as a tourist destination, help potential visitors get closer to purchasing tickets, and then helps increase the potential positivity and reach of social media mentions of tourists.

After that meeting, we had lunch and then had another hour bus ride (this time in a more comfortable, private bus) out to Blackness, where we walked around Blackness Castle and looked out over Blackness Bay.


Built in the 15th century, Blackness Castle has been modified for various purposes over the centuries, including a prison, an armament depot, and the setting of Hamlet and the BBC Ivanhoe. 

After another hour or so bus ride back to the hotel, we settled in for a responsible night of homework.


We had some responses to write for one class, about the tourist gaze, staged authenticity and the fabrication of highland traditions.

For the other class, we had to upload five of our best photos taken so far on the trip.

Of course, I had to go through all my photos from today and export them from Lightroom, which takes an excessive amount of time, and then the wifi (the ultimate wifi that I paid for) wouldn't let me access my email account or dropbox, so I was unable to upload the photos. (Our professor foresaw that, though, and is letting us turn in the photos on a flash drive tomorrow).

It's almost midnight and I've completed my homework assignments but am still waiting for photos to export before I can go to sleep. But I guess it wouldn't be fair to get 6 hours of class credit in a month if I didn't stay up late doing homework a few nights a week.


Wishing Lightroom was faster,
The Purple Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment