Saturday, January 11, 2014

Smoothies are messy.

I mean, I've made messes while drinking a smoothie, absolutely, but not while making a smoothie. Then again, I guess I've never really made a smoothie before. That's probably the problem right there.

I asked for kitchen appliances for Christmas this year, and I got them! I got a convection toaster oven, a small crock pot, and a food processor/blender. Pretty exciting stuff. I probably won't use them much until next Fall, as I will still be living in a dorm residence hall this next semester, and will have dining bucks to spend. I can still get in some smoothies and chili and such. I think crock pots are one of the best inventions ever. You can put food in them, go to classes, forget about it, and come back to a wonderfully yummy meal.

But it turns out that it's not quite so easy to make smoothies. Or maybe I'm just pretty bad at it.

First off, I open up the box, and there were all these different pieces. Two different types of blade-contraptions, and lots of cups in plastic bags. Yes, I realize that it would be very difficult to do cool stuff without those things, but I wasn't expecting quite so many different parts.
Why do plastic bags make things smell odd?


But no matter, I washed the components, tried to put them together, found the manual and read it, then put figured out how to put my blender together. I cut up my mangoes and made sure I had all the ingredients. Now I was good to go. Except, I wasn't sure how much each different plastic cup/mixing container thing could hold, so I decided to split the recipe up (after already cutting it down, because I only had one mango), and put equal amounts in three different cups. That was interesting

It's not good to spill gooey liquid.


After pouring the smoothie liquid from cup to cup, adding more ice, water, and then honey, I think they turned out pretty well. I had a healthy lunch and both of my parents had refreshing afternoon snacks, but it was not worth it. I think I need a lot more practice, and preferably not with greek yogurt, coconut milk, and honey all at the same time.

They look so innocent, but don't be deceived.

Here is the original recipe, in case you don't have super vision which would allow you to read the card in the picture. The card said that it was "Compliments of Round Rock Honey Company and Panera Bread Co."

3 mangoes, peeled, pitted, and chopped (abbout 4 cups)
1 can (14 oz.) light coconut milk
1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
1 cup ice
1/4 cup Round Rock Honey
1/8 tsp. grated nutmeg
Pinch of salt
Mint Sprigs (optional) <- I don't understand this part

Anyhow, it said to mix the stuff together and blend it all (except the mint, which you add later as a garnish). Maybe I will come back to this recipe when I'm a pro at blending and smoothie making, but that is not anytime soon.


Admitting Failure In The Realm of Smoothie-Making,
The Purple Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment