Friday, January 3, 2014

I didn't wait.

I just couldn't. It was too tempting. Yes, I know it may have been more rewarding to wait until I could watch it with friends, but the first Sherlock episode kept calling to me until I gave in. I couldn't wait until Sherlock aired on Masterpiece. Not after that mini-episode that reawakened the curiosity and excitement. I mean, really, was that fair, Moffat? I don't think so. I would almost rather not have seen the mini-episode for Sherlock's third season.

I did like the mini-episode for the Doctor Who 50th, with Paul McGann. That was great. I really wish the U.S. had known what was going on back in 1996 and liked his movie/pilot more. I mean, ratings in Britain were great, and Doctor Who was so close to having more series but was dropped instead. So many wasted years, due to non-enthusiasm in the U.S.. But, at least McGann could come back in the mini-episode. That was great. . .

Going back to Sherlock, I watched the first episode of season 3 this morning. It was good. I will  not spoil anything for those of you who are waiting until the 18th or later to watch it. But that means I won't have very much to write. This will be a short post. Probably.

I've got to say, the too long, two year hiatus between seasons was painful. But it came at a pretty good time. It made us wait in agony for as long as John Watson had to. It also made the references to the two long years in the show be more relevant to us, the audience, most of whom had to physically wait that long. Also, after waiting so long, we are fully invested in the show, and may never leave, regardless of where the show goes.

Also, I do like that Moffat kept the idea of the fall at Reichenbach, from "The Final Problem," by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. To be fair, Doyle was actually planning on ending Sherlock Holmes once and for all, as he was sick and tired of having to write about this character that he didn't particularly care for. Of course, like any person who writes for a living, when offered a large enough amount of money, Doyle gave in and brought Holmes back to life. Now, I don't think BBC were legitimately trying to end the popular show, but with their dramatic cliffhanger and dreadful hiatus, they have not hurt Sherlock's popularity in the least.

I may be annoyed with Moffat multiple times a day, what with his ridiculous 'tying up loose ends' in the Doctor Who Christmas special, his numerous errors that could be caught and fixed with a little polishing and editing, and the mere fact that his episodes were so much better when he was writing under Russell T Davies. However, he does have good ideas, and honestly, if I were head writer of two of the most popular BBC world, I doubt I would be perfect and mistake-free either. The world might hate him at times, but we also love him, so I guess Moffat's shouldn't go anywhere.

If you have not seen any bit of  BBC's Sherlock, and have no clue what I am talking about, go watch it now. It is my favorite adaptation of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. I suppose everybody could claim their own personal favorite Sherlock Holmes movie or series or what have you, but I have read almost all of Doyle's stories of Sherlock Holmes - I even took a class on the rise of the detective novel in fiction, which focused on Sherlock Holmes - and have seen most of the old TV series as well as the new movies and series (all except Elementary. I thought about trying it, but I've heard some not-so-great things, and my friend actually forbade me to watch it, so I'm obeying her orders). So, I might have some small clue of what I'm talking about, looking back and forth from the stories and their numerous interpretations and adaptations, and I love BBC's modern take on the classic stories.

There is just something about this detective who has excellent powers of deduction, which we try to mimic, and yet has some flaws, which make him more relatable. Sherlock Holmes is not the only literary detective, and not necessarily the best, but he has been loved by every generation since he was created back in 1887. So now, in the year 2014, I highly recommend that you watch Sherlock - and read at least some of the original stories and novels. They are well worth it.


Wanting To Spread The Love Of Sherlock,
The Purple Writer


Here is the mini-episode for Season 3, in case you haven't been able to watch it yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment