Saturday, January 25, 2014

I guess I'm becoming a good PR student.

I had a moment of realization today, while working with my classmates from PR Strategies to decide what our group project should be. My realization was that I am up to date with current events. Maybe for some people that would not be such a shocker, but I was pretty surprised.

I mean, through high school and even through my first three semesters at college, I really didn't know much about current events. They bored me. I didn't care what celebrity did something dumb last week, or what was going on in politics. I would know the president's name, and whatever random bit of news that my friends talked about. I suppose my reasoning was that whatever is "current" one day will be old news the next and it would therefore be pointless to try to keep up with everything.


Last semester, sometime in late August, I got a Twitter account (@LydiaClink). I didn't really think about it much, but my awesome roommate tweets pretty frequently, and I figured I might as well join in. I followed my friends and a couple different Texas Tech groups, and left it at that.



Then, I went to the amazing Career Development Conference in Dallas, held by Tech's College of Media and Communication. I heard about the importance of having a Twitter, and the importance of keeping up with social media altogether, from multiple successful PR professionals. I realized that it was probably a good idea to be a little more professional, and to be more active with Twitter.


It hasn't been a full month yet, but I now follow about 300 people on Twitter and actively keep up with news, announcements, and releases. Apparently it is possible to go from being completely clueless about current events to being aware of national and international news within 5 minutes of events occurring, in just about three weeks.

Now I just need to get through my News Writing class this semester, and I think I'm on my way to becoming a decent Public Relations student.


Returning to my Twitter feed,
The Purple Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment