Saturday, January 11, 2014

I knitted a hat today.

Well, correction, I've been working on this hat all break. Kind've. It's one of those things where I have a project but I only work on it while watching Netflix, and while not also playing computer games or doing anything else.

This afternoon/evening I finally got to the point of lethargy where I went to Netflix and watched Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, Avalon High, and some of Lego: The Adventures of Clutch Powers. I enjoyed the first, although it was a bit unnecessarily bloody. I would not recommend that anyone watch the second. For the third. . . just don't. Unless you are at the point where anything mindless is amusing -- such as a sleepover with your best friends when you've all had way too much sugar and caffeine -- there's not much to gain. But while watching these movies on Netflix, I remembered that I had an almost-finished hat sitting in my knitting bag. I picked it up again and kept knitting.

It's purple.

Now, I learned how to knit last Thanksgiving from my grandmother, because one of my best friends was knitting at school, and I thought it would be cool to pick up. I had crocheted forever ago, but have no current understanding of the process. My grandmother showed me a stitch, and I copied that stitch, somehow doing something completely different from what had been shown to me. Apparently I invented my own stitch, but I thought I was doing what she showed me. I don't know. I'm just special sometimes.

Look at my hat, not me.


So, I know one stitch, which is apparently a weird stitch, but it works. I've looked at instructions and seen other people doing other stitches, and purling and all that jazz, but it's too complicated. I stick with my one stitch. I've been doing pretty well with it. I can whip out long, fluffy scarves pretty easily while watching the multiple TV shows that I regularly keep up with, and all the other Netflixing, of course.

Oh, side note -- my friends and I started a knitting club at Texas Tech. We meet, knit things, watch movies, eat food, and generally be awesome. We're going to have yarn sales to support our chosen cause, Big Brother Mouse, and will eventually start doing some cool things like knitfitti. Yes, you should be jealous for a moment, and then come join us. Unless you don't attend Texas Tech, in which case you should start your own knitting club.

So yes, I am not a great knitter. I realized this while looking at my hat. It has multiple botches, a very visible seam, weird lumps, etc. Because it was made with a single color of yarn, instead of the colorful blends I prefer, every mistake is quite a bit more obvious. But you know what? I like my hat. Why?
1. It's purple. I love purple.
2. It's comfortable, and fits my head perfectly. Which makes sense, as I sized it around my head.
3. I made it. Somehow that makes all the mistakes okay. Also, it's purple.
4. It will keep my ears warm as I walk around campus in the snow. And yes, I do plan on wearing it out in public. I am proud of my purple hat.

Knitted purple hats are cool


I like purple




Just kidding - I love purple!



Experimenting With Selfies,
The Purple Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment