Wednesday, January 1, 2014

I never finish New Year's Resolutions.

Why is it, that after about a month of being in the holiday season, our culture starts every year with promises to change? All of a sudden, the festivities are over, diets are started again, people go back to school and back to work. People look at their lives and choose one thing to improve for a year, in their "New Year's Resolution."


In order to "finish" such a resolution, one has to purposefully stick with it an entire year. That doesn't work for me.

I've found that when I have a resolution, I forget it. Either I literally forget about it, and have nothing to do with it anymore, or it becomes a habit. That is what I really mean. If I hold to a resolution long enough, it should become a habit and a part of my life. Once it is a habit, I don't have to force myself to hold to it as a resolution, and the resolution is lost.

But really, isn't that resolutions are for? There is a lot of emphasis put on "New Year's Resolutions." Almost everyone finds something about themselves that they want to chance, and make up their mind to change it. But, because these kinds of resolutions are so common, and are just about never kept through an entire year, there can be major discouragement.

I personally come up with new "resolutions" whenever I finally have had enough and decide to change something that needs to be changed. It can happen once a year, or ten times a day, depending on my motivation and situations. I have lots of faults, and I have found it way too easy to get discouraged and decide to never try something again, after failing it too many times. I have to be positive, and continue to work on improving my broken state.

But my resolutions are really all the same: I resolve to lose habits that I shouldn't have, and to develop habits that will help me.

I resolve to make habits. I resolve to lose habits. I don't resolve to "be good" about one thing for one year. That is too hard, and not enough.


But I will share a "New Year's Resolution" with the internet, simply because I wish the same for everyone else out there. This is the habit I hope to form: to start every day with the mindset that it will be the best day of my life.



Planning To Have Some Wonderful Days,
The Purple Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment