Thursday, May 26, 2016

Day 6: Pergamon Museum

Today started off pretty well.


I woke up before my alarm, got ready for the day, wrote my blog post, ate breakfast, read yesterday's issue of The Skimm, and discovered that Twitter will now allow usernames to be included in tweets without taking up characters.

This may seem trivial and not particularly noteworthy to you, but I was pretty excited!

It can be very challenging to write a solid tweet when needing to include usernames that take up the space of multiple words/ideas, but I won't have to worry about that anymore when I return to my social media internship in July.

After finishing my cup of coffee, I headed off to the Pergamon museum with a group of professors and students.

 

The "Museum Island" area of Berlin is filled with beautiful buildings and statues. 


I've been pretty burned out on museums throughout my life, having spent way more time than desired in exhibits around the states and Europe. 

However, I was pretty optimistic about German museums.

I probably would have enjoyed seeing the reconstructed gates and architecture in the Pergamon Museum if we had gone through without a guide, as they are truly impressive structures, but our guide was extremely condescending and boring.

I know what color leaves and skin were probably colored in Greek times. I understand the difference between hunting scenes and peaceful scenes in a mosaic. I can read the signs which explain exhibits, process the information, and be satisfied in the knowledge learned, but our tour guide did not seem to think Americans capable of such intelligence.

I'm probably being overcritical right now, as I massage my throbbing feet.

Today's theme could probably be walking.


We walked (and stood too long) through the museum, walked through large stores, walked to a craft beer pub which didn't serve food, not to mention the walks to, through, and between public transportation. 
I assumed that if I stayed in a city longer than a few days and kept walking around, eventually my feet would stop hurting.

That was a misconception, at least so far.

But today was pretty enjoyable over all.

The long periods of walking were also spent talking with fellow students and enjoying the sights (and smells) of Berlin.


Also, this monstrosity of an ice cream dessert made my sore feet seem a bit more worth the 7 miles that I walked as I adventured throughout this large, German town.






Googling ways to help my feet stop hurting so badly,
The Purple Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment