Monday, May 4, 2015

This past weekend was pretty great.

First off, I know I've been slacking with my blog again. However, finals are finally here so I can take a breath, have some fun, and write posts again.

It's really the month before finals that are hard, what with so many projects, papers, and presentations that generally add up to form the majority of the grades in all my classes. I only have one final that is worth more than about 10% of my overall grade, so I can relax, having secured my overall grades in my classes (unless I was to actually fail a final, which isn't a concern this semester, at least).

But that's boring. Let's get back to my cool weekend of geekiness.



As you may guess from that poster, I started the weekend early on Thursday, with the midnight premiere of Avengers: Age of Ultron. It was a fun movie. Not as good as the first Avengers, but it set up several of the upcoming Marvel movies, which was important. I won't give any spoilers, of course, because not everyone was able to find time to watch it this weekend, but I would definitely be willing to go see it again.




On Friday, I watched the third and fourth episode of the current GOT season (and finally painted the new side mirror for my car, so it wouldn't look super strange when attached).

While doing this, I did some deeper cleaning and straightening in my room. It gets to be a mess toward the end of the semester, and I'm going to start moving my stuff to my future residence in a couple weeks, so organization will definitely help with that.

I also made my second kahlua chocolate bundt cake! (Somehow it still turned out well after I left it in the oven for an extra half hour).





Saturday, I hung out with some cool, geeky people.
I got free comics (for Free Comic Book Day, of course), bought the Civil War graphic novel (issues #1-7), and enjoyed the atmosphere of general nerdiness that can be found at comic book stores (especially when there's a table outside raising money for the  Lubbock-Con).

I watched the animated Flashpoint Paradox movie, which was the starting point for DC's New 52 comics. How had I not heard that story before? Well, I'm not sure, but I've seen the movie now, so we're all good.

I finally bought a Beatles record (I've been wanting one for a while, but didn't want to pay shipping or risk a warped album), as well as an Imagine Dragons record. Barnes & Noble is carrying record albums, which is pretty awesome, but a bit expensive, of course.





Then, on Sunday, I hosted a Star Wars marathon!

We started with episode 3, because people didn't have enough time to watch all six episodes, and made Star Wars gingerbread and sugar cookies.

I don't want to give away all of our secrets, but it was pretty awesome, so maybe you can try to be invited to my Star Wars party next year, if you're lucky enough to be my friend and in Lubbock on the first weekend in May.






So, in summary, I have not fallen off the face of the planet, I had a fun weekend before finals (which you are welcome to be jealous of), and I'm planning to be a little more consistent now, but we'll see how that goes (again). I have a couple weeks between the end of this spring semester and the beginning of the first summer session, during which time I plan to be working and moving and reading comics and writing posts.

Off to prep for my mock press conference in PR Writing tomorrow,
The Purple Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment