Monday, March 30, 2015

I'm all about that avocado.




No, for real, I might even be a little obsessed.

Avocados are yummy, good for you, easy to make fun recipes with.

What's not to love about them?
(Unless you're allergic, in which case, I am very sorry.)




I bought a bag of avocados at Costco two weeks ago. Then I checked them last Sunday and all but one had ripened at the same time! Well, I love avocados, but that's quite a bit to eat in a few days if I didn't want them to go bad.

Therefore, I went to Pinterest to find recipes using avocados. There were some expected recipes, some interesting ones, and some that were completely ingenious. I realized that I had nowhere close to enough avocados to make all the recipes that I wanted to try, so I will just need to keep buying avocados in the future.

But here are some of the recipes that I tried, with pictures, of course!

Avocado, Bacon, and Cheese {ABC} Puffs

Now this just sounds fantastic, right? Combining creamy avocado with crispy bacon and delicious cheese? Unfortunately, I did not have any bacon, because if I bought the stuff I would just end up eating it, and I try to avoid that situation.

So, my puffs were just avocado and cheese, but they were still super yummy.


These morsels of savory goodness were super easy. I used one of my mini cupcake pans to hold the shape (and was therefore able to cook them in my toaster oven, which I use whenever possible).

I cut crescent roll triangles in half, and pressed them into the cupcake indents. Then I took cubed (or rectangled is more accurate, I suppose) avocado and cheese, and just layered them in. I picked up the overhanging bits of crescent roll and pinched them together at the top. 


Including the 10 minutes to cook at 375, this recipe probably took about 15 minutes altogether. Not too shabby if you're pressed for time or if hunger catches you by surprise.




Now, putting avocado on sandwiches shouldn't be a new concept for you. I particularly enjoy avocado slices on hamburgers  and clubs. But this slightly different recipe combines the richness of avocado with the classic grilled cheese sandwich.

Now, I didn't have all the ingredients the recipe called to be added to the mashed avocado. I had the fresh onion and garlic, as well as salt and pepper, of course, but not the tomato or cilantro or jalapenos (which I would never add anyhow). I compromised by adding a tiny bit of salsa.

Making the grilled cheese was pretty straightforward. Heated up a skillet, put butter on the side of bread touching the hot surface, layered on the cheese and avocado mush, put on another piece of bread, flipped the whole monster after a few minutes, and I was done! 

Now, I could have used my faithful toaster oven, but with how much of the guacamole I put on, there probably would have been an explosion or some other kind of mess. 

This is an easy, yummy, twist on a comfort food.


Although, if we're talking about simplistic, comfort food, why not just eat straight guacamole?

All you need are some chunks of avocado, some salsa, and a bag of chips.


Now, I know I'm kind've cheating by using store bought salsa, but if we're talking about saving time, as long as you have fresh avocado, it will still taste great.

Step 1. Mash up the avocado.
Step 2. Add salsa.
Step 3. Mix.
Step 4. Eat guacamole with chips.
Step 5. Be happy (and eat more guacamole with chips).



The brownish-green goop may not look so appetizing at first glance, but once you start eating it, there's no going back. It takes about 3-5 minutes to make a delicious (and mostly healthy) snack. Whether you have the guacamole just to color your favorite chips or use your chips to scoop up giant mouthfuls of guacamole, this is a perfect way to feed your stomach while pleasing your tastebuds.

If you're interested in some of the other avocado recipes I found, they will be in my "recipes to try" board on Pinterest. Go check them out. :)


Trying to decide what avocado combination to use next,

The Purple Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment