Thursday, March 19, 2015

I have a job now.

Well, it's really an internship, but I get paid for my 20 hours a week, which is more than I expected for my first internship.

Beginning this February, I have been a Social Media Intern with the Office of Communications & Marketing at Texas Tech University. (Not the College of Media & Communication, although it seems many people make that mistake when looking up phone numbers.)


I get paid minimum wage, but this is basically my dream internship:
-> I am getting experience in managing social media accounts, which is what I would like to do in the long run.
-> I have a great boss and coworkers.
-> I sit next to the window in our office (a small room with three desks for us social media interns), and although it is very dirty, it has a gorgeous view looking out over Memorial Circle.
-> I enjoy what I do (writing tweets and posts, finding content, monitoring our streams and feeds, analyzing and comparing our stats with the universities we 'compete' with in the social media world of follows and interactions, and so on).


If nothing else, you should probably be jealous of this window that I sit next to for 20 hours each week. Lubbock has its dusty days and not-so-pretty days, but the campus is well-maintained, and the sky is almost always a beautiful sight. 

Mostly because West Texas is so flat in general, we get a lot of sky. A normally 'pretty' sight of clouds or color is simply transformed out here. You'll know what I mean if you ever see one of our gorgeous Lubbock sunsets. 

It's Spring Break this week, so campus is pretty empty, beside the visitor tours and staff members, but it's a great feeling to look out of my intern window on a normal day and see the streams of students flowing through Memorial Circle. 

Beside being the center of a lot of traffic on campus, the World War II monument, the Pfluger Fountain, as well as the grass which should not be walked on, come together to make a beautiful memorial for fallen soldiers and veterans of all wars. 


So, I'm taking 12 credit hours, working my internship, and living my life. 

I should be blogging more often (especially after I posted in January and said I would be better about posting more regularly), but that hasn't happened. Maybe I will be motivated to be a better blogger now, but who knows.

I'll leave you with a photo I took for one of my first assignments at this internship.


I went out and took pictures of the first blooming tulips on campus (for the #TexasTech Instagram account, of course). Have I mentioned how great this job is?


Off to increase my social media presence some more,

The Purple Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment