Thursday, February 27, 2014

I'm addicted to my smart phone.

I know it's pretty sad, but what do you expect? I got a smart phone for the first time last week, and I haven't been able to put it down.

I'll try to blame it on my majoring in Public Relations and needing to be in constant contact with social media and news and all, but let's be honest. I spend a lot of time playing games. A LOT of time.

Before I got this smart phone, I had a prepaid phone, which was pretty reliable for calling people. I also had an iPod Touch that I could basically use as an iPhone when I had WiFi. I always carried both of these devices around with me, and they worked pretty well, even though it could be a little awkward to carry both of them around when wearing dresses without pockets, and all.

After all, most of the buildings here at Tech have WiFi throughout them, so I could check social media and everything on my iPod in between classes and when going to meetings that have been cancelled while I was walking across campus in areas without WiFi.

But now! I no longer need to switch between my devices to text and be connected to social media. I have it all on one marvelous android device.  And I'm addicted to it.

It is easy to make phone of people absorbed in their phones and not socializing with people right in front of their faces. However, it is all too easy to become one of those people. The important thing to remember is that there is not substitute for face-to-face communication and socializing. Even if we have the power, through these small devices, to keep up with every constant update in world events and friends' lives, not to mention apps that provide entertainment galore.

No comments:

Post a Comment