Sunday, March 9, 2014

I now own a humidifier.

I had never really expected to say/type that sentence in my life, but there it is. I remember my parents having humidifiers for us to have in our rooms when we got sick, but I never really remembered them being especially helpful or cool or anything.

But then I got sick this past week. It was "just" a cold, but it wasn't any fun. Especially when I would try to sleep and wake up completely dehydrated and stuffed up and feeling miserable. I get sick a lot, but that doesn't mean that I don't still feel awful every time.

Lydia Clink - Art from Lubbock, TX
A visualization of the virus attacking me


Anyhow, I was talking to my awesome friend Emily, from English classes, and she suggested that I go get a humidifier. I think she had also gotten one not too long ago, so she told me I could get one for $16 at Walgreens, and I thought "why not?" I drove over to Walgreens before my SigTD meeting and picked one up. It wasn't like it could hurt, and $16 isn't that much for a potential help.

Let me just say, humidifiers can be a giant help! Maybe it's more noticeable because I currently live in Lubbock, which is usually very, very dry.

I filled up and plugged in the humidifier, and then I slept soundly, all night long. Which is unusual, especially when I'm sick.
There was no tossing, turning, or waking up because there is no more moisture in my body. Instead, I woke up completely refreshed and ready to face the world (although my congestion came back pretty quickly throughout the day, as I was away from my humidifier).

LydiaClink - Lubbock has water?
Thank you humidifier, for clearing up my day

So, yes, I am still slightly sick, and have an ugly-sounding cough. But really, each morning after I run my humidifier, I feel 100% better, just because I was able to get a good night's sleep. Never underestimate the power of sleep (and humidifiers in a desert)!


Glad you can't hear my cough as you read this,
The Purple Writer



No comments:

Post a Comment